How to eat out and be healthy:
- Plan ahead – before you go to the restaurant have a plan to manage your choices and portion sizes.
- Eat a small, healthy snack – before you leave home. If you feel hungry, but not ravenous, you can take the time you need to think carefully about what you will choose to eat instead of rushing into your order. You can then relax and enjoy your meal, eating it slowly and savouring your food, rather than risk overeating unhealthy foods.
- Choose a meal with plenty of vegetables – ask for what you want if it does not show on the menu. You cannot go wrong with vegetables if they are not soaked in oil, because they are very low in calories, high in fibre and loaded with other beneficial nutrients, and have almost no adverse affect on blood sugar levels.
- Include some protein in your meal – meat fish or chicken are usually readily available. If you order a large salad, ask for the chicken to be grilled not fried.
5. Make small, simple changes – you want to enjoy your meal so make simple changes not drastic ones. If you order what you think you should eat and it is not what you really want, you will not feel satisfied, so you will probably break out and eat something that you may later wish you hadn’t eaten.
6. Follow these simple healthy hints –
- Ask for fish that is grilled instead of fried
- Ask for your burger without cheese and mayonnaise and instead have extra salad and mustard.
- Ask for your vegetables to be steamed not cooked with oil or butter.
- Ask for your omelette to be cooked with just the whites and go light on the cheese.
- You do not have to eat all of your meal. It is not a crime to leave some food. Ask to have the left overs in a box for later.
. Remember that you are the paying customer – so feel free to ask for your food to be cooked the way you want it.
8. Congratulate yourself for being so strong in your ordering – then feel and see the benefits. You will look better and feel more energised as you are feed your body with better nutrition.